Monday, November 16, 2015

Pausing to Reflect on Our First 14 weeks of the philoSURFERS

After 14 weeks, what are three things we’ve learned so far?

After 14 weeks of being a philoSURFER, I have learned that I can really work with kids. I want to be an elementary school teacher and this experience has made me excited for my future. I have truly appreciated what elementary teachers do with their students because they are not as easy to handle. When I first went a kindergarten class, they were very “rascally,” but as time progressed they were able to sit in a circle for over 30 minutes. Same thing happened in a third grade class. I have also learned how to create lesson plans for a class. Normally, high school students do not create the lesson plan, but the teacher does. Well in in my case the role has reversed. I have learned more about philosophy for children and how to support teachers while doing so. I think I have been doing a very well job at supporting the teachers and the kids seem to enjoy doing p4c. 
-Maureen


I have learned that just by giving a kid a chance no matter how old or what grade they are just by giving them the time to think they have the ability to blow your mind. Being with the younger kids sometimes they need a good question to spark the flame within them but once its lit they are able to go on and on about the question. The learning process is really a two way thing and i'm learning so much from these kids and I can't wait until next semester when new philoSURFERS come and experience this with me.

-Logan


After doing this internship for 14 weeks I’ve learned patience, creativity, and to keep an open mind. I have learned patience with trying to work around some of the rascals within classrooms and patience in seeing growth in different classes. I learned creativity with trying to make different games and lessons that would help the students understand the purpose of p4c better. Lastly, I have learned that keeping an open mind to things makes you see things more clearly. 

-Cindy


After 14 weeks, what are three challenges we have experienced?



The challenge I have experienced is that my internship will soon be ending. This makes me sad because I have really enjoyed being a philoSURFER and I want to continue. But I have things I need to take care of. Having a great connection with all my students has truly opened and validated myself in becoming an elementary school teacher. The bond that I have with the students will never be irreplaceable, but I truly hope whoever my replacement will be, that they will take care of not only the student and the teacher. Along with my internship almost ending, I’m also challenged with teaching the teacher about p4c. I know that we are the experts but I feel scared because I know I have to teach them as much as I can since I will be leaving soon. This may be a silly a challenge, but it has also been a challenge to remember student's name, I mean we do serve over 500 students. 

-Maureen


One of my main challenges has been working with the kindergarteners as well as other younger grades. I just don't have that many experiences with children this young. Another challenge would be lesson plans but what's challenging is that sometimes it's hard to know if I have used the lesson plan in the "right" way.

-Logan


One of the challenges that we faced was when it would get hard to hold the attention of the class, especially the kindergarten and first grade classes on a hot day. Another challenge we experienced was the lack of communication with the teachers we worked with, which made making lesson plans a bit challenging. I think the most challenging thing for us to figure out is how to keep our classes moving forward in p4c.

-Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment