Wednesday, November 25, 2015

First Grade: Thanksgiving

What does it mean to be thankful?

This is the question I first posed when I entered Mrs. E's class. Answers like "when someone gives you food, you say thank you," "when my mom gives me something I want, I say thank you to her," and "appreciating what you have" were said as we went around the circle. Avery said it means to be appreciative and not taking things for granted. 

Afterwards, we went around the circle and shared what we were thankful for. Things like food, iPads, Sky Landers, Beyblade, soccer, my family, and friends floated around. 

But it made me wonder, why is good to be thankful? Lots of students raised their hands, wanting to answer. Amy said it is good to be thankful because if you are not thankful, then you will not get it again. Josh said that it is good to be thankful because some people do not get what you might have gotten, so you should say thank you for it. I said it is good to be thankful because you may never if things might get taken away from you or things may be gone. 

Students then related this to homeless people. Zaine said homeless people do not get everything, so we should give them things we do not need, because they will be thankful for it too. Kassey said that if we give homeless people something, then they would be thankful and be happy.

This was a new class I went to and I was amazed at the welcoming I received when I walked in. This class has not done p4c in a long time, so it was great to be in there and do some thinking about Thanksgiving, since it is Thanksgiving break this week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment